Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Why?

Just by the way, here is an annoying thing that happens while you're hosting people in a foreign country. Although I would first like to go on record about how I have strived to keep this blog rant-free, or at the very least rant-minimum. I understand that many blogs revolve around the rant. But that, for the most part, is not my personality, and not something I enjoy reading, so I consciously avoid it unless I think it is particularly funny or relevant.

But what they'll do - people, that is - is ask you questions as though you have done a survey on the country regarding every concept under God.

Example One: Dad

"I have a question for you: I was at the Kylemore Abbey Cafeteria, and I ordered a turkey sandwich. And on this cold sandwich is shredded cheddar cheese. So, as I'm eating it, the cheese all falls out! What kind of a country makes a cold sandwich with shredded cheese? It makes no sense at all!"

I was really tempted to say: perhaps Kylemore Abbey Cafeteria just sucks? Honestly, I don't have the first clue. It's not as though (1) I've noticed this as an Irish sandwich trend, nor (2)if I did would I have given much thought to it.

Example Two: Cottonheads (apologies to Great Disapprover, but I can't abandon the name now).

We're walking along and one of the Cottonheads wants to know: "Patrick, why do they put down different textured stone at the corners as opposed to the regular sidewalks?"

Why is the sky blue? Why do we park in a driveway but drive on a parkway? I think, to a certain extent, people just get so used to me being able to explain why the Irish can't swim, or why it's rude to offer tips, that they just presume that I am a fountain of information for all things Irish, or even European. But some things just are (why do men like sports and women like shopping? why do I always have to sleep on the wet spot?) and neither I nor the Angry Grammarian can explain them.

2 Comments:

At 8:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We all know that the Angry Grammarian will try to explain...I almost fell asleep through his last comment.

Anyhoo, can't wait for you to return home Patrick!!!

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger from behind the bar said...

Well, don't sell yourself short on not being able to explain everything Irish, my boy. I recall, the one such question that escaped the understanding of two family members. They could not understand why or how an Irish ATM would know that their American ATM cards would want euro instead of USD?! Thankfuly, you were there to explain to them that,...they were in IRELAND!

You also were able to kybosh the notion that NO; someone does not travel around Ireland stuffing the Irish ATMs with $20 dollar bills.

PS
In case you forgot, the Aerlingus food still bites and the inflight movies bite too!

God speed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home