Thursday, March 02, 2006

Drunken Logic

Just quickly, before I hit the hay:

Tonight one of my roommates decided to direct traffic outside the club after it closed. Not foot traffic - car traffic. Said road is a one way street. "You there!! Come on through! Let's go! You there bouncer-man, give me your jacket so I can do this properly." I guided him gently by the arm to the late night snack place.

It's a good example of what I call drunken logic. It seemed like a good idea at the time. My brother and I started using the phrase after one rotten session in the centre of our town (that means drinking downtown in American). We went back to my apartment and crashed. I woke up in the middle of the night to use the toilet. To my surprise, I found one of my brother's socks in the toilet. Using the toilet brush I removed it from the bowl. Later on, I asked my brother, who slept on the futon fully clothed other than said sock, what the feck?

He had no memory of any sock doffing, and so replied, "drunken logic, I guess." To this day when one of us does something numb while on the piss, we justify it with either "drunken logic" or "sock in the toilet."

1 Comments:

At 3:38 PM, Blogger from behind the bar said...

I am all to familiar with this phenomenon. For those who struggle to find the meaning of such occurrences, please allow me to put your mind at ease with simple wisdom. Like many other oddities of this earth; rather than to wreck one's mind struggling why something has occurred, simply accept the fact that it happened, even acknowledge the event, and move on. This in itself is the very essence of the theory of Drunken Logic. This theory allows the mind to focus on other events that are more apt to have a deeper meaning, that which can improve human life. In this instance if God wanted to put a sock in the toilet, so be it! Who are we to decipher God's will?

(Gold Nugent version: Don't sweat the little stuff.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home